Become a Councillor.


How to become a Town Councillor

Election Year for Local Government in Wales. The Election Years usually run in a four year cycle with the Elections normally held in May of that year. Both Blaenau Gwent County Borough and Tredegar Town Councillors will be elected to serve for a period of four years. The previous Election Year was 2012, however, on this occasion the cycle has been extended to 5 years meaning the next Election Year will be 2017.

All Town Councillors are unpaid and receive no monetary benefits from their role. They are required to attend the two monthly meetings of full Council - on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month except during recess in August - plus any other meetings for sub-committees or outside organisations for which they may have been nominated to sit on.

Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council will publish a Notice of Election for the three Town Council Wards not later then the end of March of in the Election Year. Anyone wishing to stand in Sirhowy, Tredegar Central & West or Georgetown need first to check that they are eligible - usually this means that they are on the Electoral Register - and can get a Proposer and Seconder to sign their nomination form. Both the Register and the necessary forms are available from and MUST BE RETURNED to Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council's Returning Officer.

The form must show the Register number of yourself, your Proposer and your Seconder.

The Election normally takes place in the beginning of May and the count on the following day.

A new publication is now available from the Welsh Local Government Association which gives information on the role of a Councillor. Please click on 'Being a Councillor 2012' to view the document or visit for further information.